Tuesday, March 23, 2010

my xylophone

I made a xylophone out of metal piping and made the pieces different lengths, but can't get the sound to come out right. There is barely any difference in pitch for the notes. How do I make them obviously different?

3 comments:

  1. Most likely your problem is that you dont have the right kind of pipe. Electrical conduit worked for my xylophone. If its note the type of material that's wrong then it might be the lengths that you cut it to. Here's a website that helped me:
    http://dennishavlena.com/xylo.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you don't have to cut the pipes a specified length unless you want identifiable pitches such as C, D, E, and so on. I just cut my tubes with one inch differences starting with 4 cm. The musical project requires you to make three different pitches, not actual note pitches. Hopefully that made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, I ended up getting EMT conduit and it makes a much better and distinct sound. And about the note pitches, I understand what you're saying. That helps too haha. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.