Sunday, March 28, 2010
Determining Frequency
How do we determine the frequency of the pitch? I was assuming that we find it by determining the number of times the sine function completes a full cycle (or number of waves) in one second. But I'm not sure if we have to do some equation to find the frequency in Hertz. I just don't know. Anybody?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The frequency is posted to the left of the graph along the y axis thing on Audacity. mine says 44100 Hz but im not sure if thats what ms. shumway wants us to do. There is a small thing in the book on page 359 but it isnt much help. I am very confused as well.
ReplyDelete44100 Hz is the sample rate, not the actual frequency. I am just using the equation from physics.
ReplyDeleteSource: Physics Notes
ReplyDeleteFrequency = Number of waves (cycles/oscillations) passing a fixed point per secnod.
Period of a Wave = 1/Frequency
Thats what Im going to use, Ill ask Ms. Shumway tomorrow and post again, or start a new thread of she wants us to do something different.
In our math book in chapter 4, it says frequency is b/2π. But a lot of people are telling me you find frequency by dividing 1/period. So i'm still a bit confused. AH.
ReplyDeleteWell honestly, I forgot to ask her :P But im fairly certain 1/Period should work fine. It Does determine the period after all, and if its right, I dont see the problem.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that the Hz that is listed in audacity works for the project.
ReplyDelete